How many of you are like me in that the only way you ate cauliflower as a kid was if it was boiled, then covered in cheese sauce? Well, Cauliflower… you’ve come a long way. Nowadays, most of us wouldn’t even think of boiling our cauliflower. And we certainly don’t want it drowning in sauce (though I do make this decadent Gratin recipe on a regular basis). We roast whole heads of cauliflower and puree it for a healthy mashed potato substitute. And my recipe for Cauliflower Buffalo Bites is one of the most-viewed posts by you guys. So today, let me share another tasty, quick and easy recipe, Roasted Cauliflower with Turmeric and Cumin. Did I mention that it’s TASTY? Did you hear me when I said it’s EASY? First of all, the health benefits of cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and broccoli are well known. Then add the anti-inflammatory benefits of turmeric and cumin? Plus minced garlic? Well, now we’re talking Super Food category. But I’ll stop right there with the health and nutrition lecture. Because while this information is cool and important, we’ve all heard it ad nauseum. Let’s stick with what really gets people to the table. Food that looks beautiful. And food that tastes delicious (rocket science, right?). Roasting the cauliflower gives it a flavor that’s sweet and nutty plus adds a nice, crispy texture. Turmeric adds beautiful color plus a warm citrus bite. And cumin is incomparable in its earthy bitterness. Seriously, go smell the turmeric and cumin in your spice cabinet right now and see if I’m not right? And after you do that, get you some cauliflower and make this tonight! You can also add cilantro and scallions for even more color and flavor. When finished, this pretty baby is a perfect compliment to chicken, salmon and shrimp. For my vegan and vegetarian friends, Roasted Cauliflower with Turmeric and Cumin is a filling main dish for you too.
Cook’s Note: When selecting your cauliflower, be sure to look for heads that are free of brown spots, which is a sign of less than ideal freshness.
Roasted Cauliflower with Turmeric and Cumin
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 scallions sliced or diced
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and turmeric together in a large bowl and add some salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Add the cauliflower to the bowl and toss/stir until completely covered with oil and spice mixture.
- Spread the florets in a roasting pan and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the cauliflower is golden and crunchy.
- Sprinkle with the scallions and cilantro. Serve warm or room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Super Foods cookbook.