Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Tacos are a sure crowd-pleaser. Use your favorite ice cream and toppings. Add cinnamon and mini chocolate chips for cannoli tacos.
Here’s a fun easy variation on usual ice cream treats. Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Tacos and be made using any flavor ice cream, with or without nuts. This treat is fun and easy to hold. The salted taco shells add a nice flavor to the sweet ice cream and chocolate.
Here’s a fun way to serve ice cream treats to kids and grown-ups alike. A nice departure from traditional ice cream cones, Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Tacos can be customized to satisfy everyone’s frozen treat craving. Fill with your favorite ice cream and add additional novelties, nuts or even fruit.
Quality counts here so use the best ice cream you can find. Breyers is my favorite because the ingredient list is short and I know what they are, nothing added that you can’t pronounce. For my ice cream tacos, I added a bit of cinnamon and mini chocolate chips to vanilla ice cream because we love cannolis around here. After these were dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with peanuts, this became a fabulous sweet and salty treat.
I softened the ice cream in the microwave until it was the consistency I needed to be able to fill the taco shells without having ice cream spill out. They then need to go into the freezer for at least two hours before they’re ready to dip in chocolate so be sure to plan for that.
You can dip your tacos until the ice cream is totally covered, of just dip them a little. If you don’t like nuts, sprinkle extra mini chocolate chips on the tacos.
I didn’t get a picture of the ice cream tacos in their wrapping, but I used quart-size, twist-tie plastic bags and closed them with pretty ribbon. Try these for your family or double or even triple for a crowd. These stay fresh in the freezer for about three days before the taco shells start to soften up and change texture.
The taco is a hearty portion, so my husband and I share. You can also find mini taco shells for kids or dainty eaters.
Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Tacos
- 1 box 'stand and stuff' hard taco shells
- 1 quart of vanilla ice cream, or other preferred flavor, softened
- 1 cup semi-sweet or darker chocolate chips
- 6 Tablespoons butter, chopped
- 1 ½ Tablespoons light corn syrup
- For cannoli-inspired tacos:
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Chopped peanuts or walnuts for sprinkling
- Fill 1 box taco shells with 1 quart softened vanilla ice cream, and if making the cannoli recipe, add 1 cup mini chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Freeze until hard, about 2 hours.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in the microwave, then stir in 6 Tablespoons chopped butter and 1 ½ Tablespoons corn syrup.
- Dip the tacos in 1 cup mini chocolate, sprinkle with chopped peanuts and let harden, about 2 minutes.
- Place individual tacos into open-top plastic bags and then close with twist ties or colorful ribbon until serving.
susan t says
These had the perfect balance of chocolate, ice cram and crunchiness. Great treat for any day!
Sally Humeniuk says
Hi Susan, Thanks for your comment! We love them at our house, too.
jill hammond says
These were delicious! My kids decided they wanted to dip them in mini M&M’s. Perfect Sally, thank you!
Sally Humeniuk says
Jill, What smart kids you have! I’ll bet they looked adorable with all the colorful M&Ms, too. Thanks for this suggestion!
looks delicious!! Can’t wait to try.