This Mediterranean tomato soup recipe is versatile, healthy and easy to prepare. Dress up or down with healthy add-in ingredients.
Mediterranean Tomato Soup recipe became an instant favorite at our house. Simple ingredients and you can dress it up or down with healthy, flavorful add-ins. Delicious enough to eat on its own and ready in 30 minutes! This soup is completely vegan, but you could add cooked chicken if you want to bulk it up.
This soup is packed with flavor thanks to all the wonderful Mediterranean spices. We do like it with just a swirl of coconut milk.
Serve with any or many of the add-ins and a nice, chunky bread. Here I added a scoop of brown rice, coconut milk, almonds, thyme and oregano oil.
Below nutrition info is without add-ins, per 8 oz. serving:
Calories; 36.5, Total fat; 2.9, Sat. fat; .4, Cholesterol; 0, Sodium; 342.mg, Potassium; 52.6mg, Carbs; 2.56g, Fiber; 1g, Sugar; .02g, Protein; .4g
Note: The recipe calls for a hand blender to puree the soup. I’ve used my stand blender plenty of times, but a hand blender is a worthwhile investment if you are a homemade soup lover!
Mediterranean Tomato Soup
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, or avocado oil or coconut oil (any light oil)
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1- 28 oz. can plum tomatoes, NOT drained, can use more diced tomatoes
- 5 ½ cups water, or chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-14 oz. can coconut milk, or half and half
- Cooked brown rice, lemon wedges, toasted almond slices, fresh thyme or oregano, oregano pesto, poached egg
- Heat 4 Tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add 2 sliced onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions really soften up and start to turn brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 teaspoon red curry powder, 1 teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon cumin and ¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add 15 ounces diced tomatoes, 28 ounces plum tomatoes with juices from the cans, and 5 ½ cups water (or broth). Simmer for fifteen minutes, then puree with a hand blender until smooth. Now your tomato soup is finished and could be enjoyed just like this for a simple, delicious soup.
- If you don't have a hand blender, you could certainly puree in your stand blender. It takes about 3 batches to puree the entire pot.
- For a more creamy version, add 14 ounces coconut milk or half and half. This is delicious with brown rice mixed in. Lemon wedges add a nice bright flavor.
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks.