Sausage, Beans and Kale Soup is super easy but incredibly flavorful. A true Italian classic soup. Delicious and healthy any time you need it.
My family has been making this delicious Sausage, Beans and Kale Soup for years now. My mom first made it after falling in love with Zuppa Toscana at The Olive Garden. We’ve loved it many times over since then, but have been creating it at home with fresh ingredients from scratch.
This recipe tastes like it should take a lot of work because of the rich flavor, but requires just 10 minutes prep time and then the ingredients do the rest of the work in the simmer. As I’m writing this, it’s hard not to change my menu for tonight’s dinner right now and create this again because just telling you about it has me craving it.
This soup offers great variety with the vegetables, sausage and legumes. The flavors and texture are so satisfying, you only need a nice hunk of rustic bread for the perfect comfort meal. Super nutritious and complete, Sausage, Beans and Kale Soup is perfect for taking over to a sick friend or new mom. Be sure to take a copy of the recipe with you.
Sausage, Beans and Kale Soup
- 2 Tablespoons light oil, olive, peanut or safflower
- 1 pound Italian sausage of choice - I like to mix sweet and hot, I have used chicken and pork with equal success
- 1 medium onion, rough chopped
- 2 large carrots, rough chopped
- 1 large potato, sliced thin (peeled or leave peels on)
- 1-2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped (juice should be squeezed out)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cans drained white beans, divided (cannellini, baby limas, or white kidney)
- 2 quarts chicken broth, (8 cups)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups fresh kale, chopped
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, enough to top each bowl to liking
- Have all your vegetables chopped and ready to go. In a stock pot heated to medium heat, add 2 Tablespoons oil and 1 pound sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned on the outside.
- Add 1 onion, 2 carrot, 1 potato, 1-2 tomatoes, 1-2 garlics and 1 bay leaf.
- Add 2 cans white beans and stir. Before adding the third can of beans, mash the beans with a fork into what will look like a rough paste. Now, add these mashed beans into the pot. This is step will help thicken the soup.
- Add 8 cups chicken broth and stir until all the mashed beans have "dissolved" into the broth.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and just let start to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let cook for as little as 20 minutes but this soup just gets better the longer it simmers. If you have time to cook this longer, cover with a lid so the broth does not simmer down and cook for 45 minutes to one hour. I have let this simmer for almost 2 hours before with perfect results.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add 4 cups kale and let soup continue to simmer for 15-25 minutes, just depending on the time you have.
- Add the amount of kale to your liking. Start with 2 cups and add more as seems right for your taste.
- Serve the soup with shaved Parmesan cheese and a nice dense loaf of bread.
- Leftovers refrigerate well up to 2 days.
Loosely adapted from Rachael Ray Sausage, Beans and Broccoli Rabe Soup